Home Ask EyeSearch Search Disclaimer

Previous Answers Volume 1
Previous Answers Volume 2
Previous Answers Volume 3
Previous Answers Volume 4
Previous Answers Volume 5
Previous Answers Volume 6
Previous Answers Volume 7
Previous Answers Volume 8
Previous Answers Volume 9
Previous Answers Volume 10
Previous Answers Volume 11
Previous Answers Volume 12
Previous Answers Volume 13

Previous Answers Volume 13

EyeSearch is a Guide to Vision and the Eye, including information on glasses, contact lenses, eye diseases, eye surgery, laser surgery, including laser vision correction, and directories of eye specialists nationwide, including ophthalmologists, optometrists, opticians and low vision services

Questions are answered by:
Certified Ophthalmic Technician (*)
a Licensed Dispensing Optician
and a Board Certified Ophthalmologist (***).

Answers are published on EyeSearch or emailed directly to the individual.

Purchase Your Contacts HERE

Question regarding Cataract Surgery
After cataract surgery incorrect lens was installed because of this glasses will have to be utilized for distances. In the past glasses were not required. This can be corrected by reinstalling a new lens. Please advise.

Your focal point can be altered by a lens implant, and indeed changing the implant could change your focal point. If further surgery is indicated, this could be a successful treatment, but I would recommend consulting your surgeon with regard to the advisability of additional surgery.

Question regarding Eyelid Swelling
My grandson had a cataract removed and probing of the tear ducts, we have ointments and return to the Dr in a week, but we noticed one eye is all red and swollen under the eye, there is nothing coming out except an ocasional tear, he is 4 months old, so not sure if this can wait till Thurs, he is not fussy or feverish.

Swelling in the eyelid can often be associated with irritation with inflammation in the tear duct. If the eyeball itself does not become red and swollen, generally ointment can be used to treat this problem. However, if it persists it should be evaluated by the patient's ophthalmologist, as soon as possible.

Question regarding Blurry Vision
Hi.  Last time I went to the doc. I had 20/19 vision.  I have began noticing that after I have read a book for a few minutes my eyes have felt funny.  After I put the book down I have trouble focousing and things look a little bit blurred.  It goes away after a while.  Any idea what's causing it?  Are my retinas damaged?

Blurry vision after reading for extended periods usually results from some tightness in the focusing muscle of the eye. When this muscle relaxes your vision returns to normal. Glasses occasionally can be beneficial in this condition if it is bothersome and usually no treatment is necessary. This description is not likely to relate to any damage in the retina.

Question regarding Rosacea
I think I have ocular rosacea (I have the skin condition).   Will the Minocin that I have been taking for my skin help with the eyes or do I need to treat them separately?  I've been on Minocin for three weeks with no relief to my eyes.  My eyelash line itches and my eyes are burning, gritty feeling and very annoying (I rub them a lot and wish I could pull them out).  They do not look bad (red) so the feeling is out of proportion to how my eyes look.  It's hard to get a doctor to understand how they hurt when they don't appear bad.  I have tried the allergy approach, been to an eye doctor(MD), dermatologist, ENT.  So, I'm trying to help myself on the internet.  In the past I got relief with Tobrax for a conjunctivitis condition.  That really helped. Is there any over the counter products that would work like Tobrax?  I've tried all the allergy relief drops with no relief.   Thank you very much.

Rosacea often creates inflammation in the eyelids or blepharitis. Minocin usually does help the eyelid symptoms over a period of time, though it may take several months for the effect to be felt. In the short term, hot compresses on the eye will be helpful and prescription eye drops or ointment may be useful as well. A consultation with an ophthalmologist should help to determine the best treatment in your specific case.

Question regarding Eye Problem with Motion
I have trouble and discomfort with my eyes with regards with the peripheral when I am subjected to motion ie driving etc. Shopping in aisles also brings on problems. Is there a name for this and what type of doctor should I be seeing(no pun)? I have suffered from this for years and have little sucess.   Thanks

The condition you describe is not primarily an eye problem but likely to be a condition related to the inner ear. I would begin by being evaluated by your own personal physician who can refer you for additional evaluation and treatment.

Question regarding Double Elevator Palsy
My 9 year old Grandaughter was told she has Double Elevator Palsy.   What is it and what are the treatments?  Thanks 

Double elevator palsy is a condition in which the muscles that bring the eye upward do not function normally from birth. As a result, though the eye may be able to look straight ahead, looking upward is impaired in one eye. It is possible to do muscle surgery to improve this condition, though it may not be necessary if straight ahead vision is not impaired. A pediatric ophthalmologist or strabismus specialist can help to offer more specific advice on your granddaughter's particular case.

Question regarding Glaucoma and Surgery
My mother is a 60 year-old with history of right combined operation in April 1997 in Germany followed by reformation of anterior chamber & synechialysis, followed by reposition of intraocular lens (post fixation)& reformation of anterior chamber again also in Germany.  Post operative IOP was not controlled in August 1998 (Right cyclophotocoagulation done in Saudi Arabia).  Examination on 9-2-1999 showed vision right count finger 30 cm, IOP 8mmHg.(her vision was 6/18 befor the first operation then changed to 6/36 then to 6/60 nine months ago).  Slit lamp examination showed cornea hazy with deep vascularization, peripheral anterior synechia about 360.  Pupil distorted with vitrous strand extend in front of pupil.  The left eye with no projection to light.  Is there any hope?

When there has been as much damage as a result of glaucoma and surgery as you describe, I would be cautious about predicting what improvement is possible.  A glaucoma or cornea specialist can help to evaluate the condition but the hazy cornea at the peripheral anterior synechia are both factors which may make further improvement difficult.

Question regarding Legal Blindness
In the legal definition of blindness it states as a condition that the field is restricted to less than 20 degrees.  Can someone tell me what that means?  I have a mid peripheral scatoma and my central vision is less than 10 degrees but I have some far periphery vision left.  If an easy answer is not available where can I go to get one?  Thanks!!

Generally the definition of legal blindness means that visual field is restricted to less than a total of 20° on either side of the fixation point. This does not mean that isolated vision in the far periphery is applicable.  A comprehensive exam by an ophthalmologist should be able to determine specifics in your case and whether they meet the definition.

Question regarding Visual Problems
In August of 98 I had PRK on my right and RK on my left. I had prescription of approx -2.00 diopters in both eyes.  I had great vision till Nov 15 98.  Then I woke up one day with unusual visual symptoms.  The symptoms include the eyes going burry then clear all day long especially when looking at something small. Also my night vision has decreased.  It is like looking through the view finder on a camcorder or like a bunch of little specs in my vision. I have been to two ophthalmologists including the one that did my surgery and 4 md's to no avail of any problems found by any of the doctors. I would greatly appreciate any suggestion you could offer.

The symptoms you describe do not clearly indicate the source of your visual problem. While you have consulted several physicians, it may be wise to obtain yet another opinion to see if an appropriate diagnosis and possible treatment plan can be offered.

Question regarding Corneal Transplant
Several years ago an ophthalmologist attempted to treat a minor case of superior limbic keratoconjunctivitus in one of my eyes by applying a solution of on-site-diluted silver nitrate crystals. Some of the crystals apparently did not dissolve in the dilution process, resulting in a severe chemical burn and blindness to that eye. The first corneal transplant to treat the problem failed due to over vascularization.   A second transplant may be performed, but with only a "10% chance of success." Of course I'll take the odds, but I have heard that some doctors have successfully treated hopeless cases with a prosthetic device (at a cost around $20,000) that restores vision to severely damaged corneas.  Have you heard of such a device and of its success rate?

A prosthetic cornea is not in wide use at this point. Often it is used as a temporary solution until a transplant can be done. While you may wish to consider it and a corneal specialist could give you some information in that regard, it is not universally successful and you may wish to consider a second corneal transplant prior to embarking on something like this.

Question regarding Achromatopsia
My daughter is having a baby in August.  The father has got a condition call, "Achromatopsia".  Are there proactive things we can be doing before the baby gets here to prepare or lessen the effects?  I understand this is relatively rare, but both he and his sister have the condition.  I am trying to become educated, but there isn't a lot of information about genetic conditions, how often they truly occur and whether this gene is passed through the mother or father - etc.   Thanks

Additional information is available through the Foundation Fighting Blindness at their web site or by consulting their office.

Question regarding Eye Injury
I am asking a question on behalf of a friend who is in prison and has little confidence in the medical advice he has received following being hit in the eye six months ago. He has experienced wavy lines at the periphery of his vision and head aches. He has also experienced a physical sensation that his eyeball moves during the day sinking back into the skull.This has been diagnosed as soft tissue damage which will take time to heal. Another doctor initially diagnosed damage to the eye socket at the back of the socket at the bottom. This was detected on a CT scan. At this time he was told there was no detached muscles and corrective surgery maybe needed.  The soft tissue damage diagnosed since refers to the sclera-choroid and cilary body apparently. My friend feels the wavy lines and flashes are decreasing in frequency but he is concerned about the conflicting diagnosis. Especially when the possibility of a detached retina was also mentioned. Can you draw any conclusions from this conflicting advice and suggest what medical care he should be receiving?

The symptoms described do not clearly indicate a source of the problem. In general, a retinal detachment would have symptoms that are different than those you related. A comprehensive examination by a retinal specialist should be able to determine whether any retinal damage is present, but after an injury it can be difficult to know how long symptoms take to resolve.

Question regarding Hemianopia
My 15 year old son has a field vision defect as  a result of tramatic head injury in which he was comatose had a stroke to the right side of his brain.   The loss of vision is on the left side of both his left and right eyes.  He has no left side peripheral vision.  In other words he sees only about 90 degrees field of vision.  I would like to know if there is a medical procedure that may correct this or if you could direct me toward medical hardware that aids in increasing his field of vision.  I need this to allow him to drive a vehicle.  Please respond we are desperate in looking for an answer.  Thank you in advance.

Unfortunately when an hemianopia or loss of half of the visual field occurs, it may never resolve. There is no medical or surgical procedure that restores this vision, but there are some devices, which may allow visual function to be improved. Generally agencies specializing in services for visually impaired people are best at operating these devices and most neuro-ophthalmologists or retinal specialists will have access to the appropriate agency in your area. Best of luck.

Question regarding Floaters
I'm 27 and have "floaters" on my eyes.  Is this anything to worry about?

Floaters are generally normal parts of the interior structure of the eye. If they do not occur in association with flashes of light or visual disturbances and if they do not increase in number suddenly they are not usually harmful. While they can be annoying, there is no good treatment available. However, if any changes in visual symptoms does occur it is always wise to get an ophthalmologic examination to rule out any other problems.

Question regarding Pigmented Area
I have a large spot of pigmentation that is located in my left eye only.  It is about half an inch in length with an oblong shape.  It started forming when I was about 13 years old.  My parents thought it was an infection and told me to put Visine in it.  The spot didn't go away but got bigger.  It wasn't until a year ago, I an now 28, that I found out it was/is pigmentation in my eye.  I want to know if there are other things/symptoms that could have caused the pigmentation?   Is there anything that can be done surgically to remove it?  Is there anything that can be done otherwise to remove it?  Is it genetic?  Well, one of my brothers have pigment in his eyes.(I have nine brothers and sisters).  But the pigment in his eye is hardly noticeable.  Are there other cases like mine?  I have yet to see anyone that has this same problem.  If there are others, is there a way that I can get in contact with those people?  Thank you for your time.

The best advice with regard to any treatment or additional information with regard to this pigmented area, could be obtained by consulting an ophthalmologist. If you are referring to a brownish spot on the white part of the eye, it may be a "freckle of the conjunctiva." However there are many other pigmented areas which have substantially different causes and treatment so I would encourage you to have an ophthalmologic examination.

Question regarding Cone Rod Dystrophy and Peter's Anomaly
I am looking for information on the following eye conditions:   Peter's anomaly and cone-rod dystrophy.

Cone rod dystrophy will be described through the web site of the Foundation Fighting Blindness.  Peter's anomaly is a rare condition that usually involves an opacity on the cornea in association with some structural changes inside the eye. Please inquire at the National Eye Institute for update research.  Your best sources may be a pediatric ophthalmologist or a corneal specialist.

Question regarding Duane's Retraction Syndrome
What's Duane's Refraction Syndrome? Please also include all possible treatment methods...Thank you.

Duane's retraction syndrome involves an abnormality in the nerve connections to the muscles moving the eye, which may prevent the eye from moving normally. There are several varieties and while some types may not need treatment, the usual treatment is eye muscle surgery in the more severe cases. Consulting a pediatric ophthalmologist or expert in strabismus will offer additional information.  Please refer also to
http://www.stepstn.com/cgi-win/nord.exe?proc=GetDocument&rectype=0&recnum=224 .

Question regarding Pterygium
If "eyedrops & sometimes radio therapy is used post operatively to help PREVENT RECURRENCE" of pterygiums, can they also be used to attempt to SLOW their initial growth?  I'm a 40-yr old female with one on each eye, w/one already creeping onto the brown part of my right eye and the left eye creeping right along. My eye doc is conservative--doesn't like to disturb them since they tend to grow back with enthusiasm once removed. However,I didn't ask him about possibility of treating them w/anything to slow them down.  I am in good health, somewhat at risk of glaucoma due to family history and a childhood eye injury (cataract removed @ 19, lens implant @~35 yrs of age.)

There is no perfect means of preventing the growth of a pterygium though in some cases avoiding eye irritation with the use of eye drops can be somewhat beneficial. Generally the best course of action is to use surgical treatment when necessary. The use of a conjunctival transplant tends to decrease the risk of recurrence when surgery is done.

Question regarding Redness
I have a burning feeling in my right eye. The white of my eye closer to my nose is red and there appears to be what kind of looks like a bump.  There seem to be something on the edge of the brown part of my eye right next to the affected area. Last week this same thing happened. It doesn't itch, but burns a great deal.  Any ideas of what this may be?

There appears to be some superficial inflammation on your eye. Lubricating eye drops, which are available without a prescription, may be somewhat helpful but if this problem has recurred you should consult an ophthalmologist in order to get the best assessment of the cause and treatment of your condition.

Question regarding Contact Lenses & Prism
I'm 38.5 yrs. old and am interested in contact lenses.  My optometrist said soft contacts would not work for me because I have prism in my glasses but hard lenses would work.  Only one side of my glasses has prism.  Do you agree that soft lenses would not work for me?

Usually the need for prism in glasses will not affect the use of soft and hard contact lenses differently. It may be that there is an astigmatism condition, which affects you. I would inquire with your doctor again, with regard to the reasons for choosing one contact lens over another.

Question regarding Cataract Surgery
I heard that there is a new procedure for cataract treatment that use laser technology and does not require surgery.  Is this true ?  Please provide me with additional information.  Thank you.

At the present time there is no cataract surgery that uses lasers alone and does not require conventional incisional surgery. Because lasers are used for so many treatments in ophthalmology it is common for people to think that cataracts can be treated with the laser alone, but at present this is not the case.

Question regarding Blepharospasm
I have the dreaded "eye twitch".  I found a board of other victims and the proposed "cures" were: Tonic water, multi-vitamins, vitamin C, Magnesium, the herb eyebright, no coffee, no stress, no computer.  I have chronic sinusitis and the dreaded prostatitis:  Any more info or explanation would be appreciated.  Thanks. 

Unfortunately blepharospasm, which is the condition you described, does not have any one universally successful treatment. It is not dangerous to the eye in most cases, but the range of treatments you have encountered is reflective of the fact that no one is successful for all patients. Certainly stress, fatigue and eye strain can be involved and if these are eliminated it may improve the condition, but it usually improves on its own over time.

Question regarding Iritis
I have just been diagnosed with Iritis. Can you give me information on this eye problem? I have never heard of it before.  Thank You

Iritis is an inflammatory condition of the interior of the eye. Usually it is not known why this inflammation occurs although it can be associated with either medical problems. The treatment most often is anti-inflammatory eye drops and this is successful in the great majority of the cases. Some people may have a recurrent condition, although in many people a single episode may occur without any further problems. Please consult your ophthalmologist, with regard to additional information relating to your particular case.

Question regarding Contact Lenses
I've worn contacts for almost ten years and never had a problem with redness in my eyes, but lately my left eye has always been getting red after I wear my contacts for an extended period of time (over 12 hours). It usually clears up after I take the contacts out and sleep, but then it comes back the next day again. I wear soft disposable lenses and I've tried everything including disinfecting more often, changing lenses more frequently and using different types of eye drops. I currently have prescription eye drops for my allergies, but I don't think this problem is allergy related because (1) it's not allergy season and (2) I only get the redness in one eye. Let me know if you have any idea what the problem could be. Thanks

It may be that your current variety of contact lens is not fitting the left eye perfectly at this point. A contact lens evaluation would be the first step because, as you say, most other conditions would be likely to affect both eyes.

Home ] Up ] Previous Answers Volume 1 ] Previous Answers Volume 2 ] Previous Answers Volume 3 ] Previous Answers Volume 4 ] Previous Answers Volume 5 ] Previous Answers Volume 6 ] Previous Answers Volume 7 ] Previous Answers Volume 8 ] Previous Answers Volume 9 ] Previous Answers Volume 10 ] Previous Answers Volume 11 ] Previous Answers Volume 12 ] [ Previous Answers Volume 13 ]
© 1998 Destiny Inc.                     [email protected]